Saturday, February 12, 2011

By Mark Skelding
Colorblindness and Grading
Education Week
Published Online: February 11, 2011
Complete URL: http://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2011/02/11/21skelding.h30.html?tkn=ZSVFWBT5nHYvKw51jYyXzm7bVUGUDCbISiPu&cmp=clp-edweek

Can grading be truly colorblind? The author of this article makes a strong argument in opposition to anyone’s ability to grade with authentic objectivity. Different teachers can look at a students work and come to varying conclusions about the student’s proficiency. The author explains this as “phenomenology”. “Phenomenology posits that, while we exist in an objective time and space, we subjectively define every object we interact with or event we experience as it relates to our unique life experiences.” He then goes on to define how five teachers use different approaches to grading their students, and notes the faults with each teacher’s method. He does propose an alternative that he feels is more fair and objective. He says give “standards-based formative assessments an honest try.” His reasoning seems practical. Put simply standards-based assessments provide students multiple opportunities to demonstrate growth towards and eventual proficiency of the standards. Standards-based assessments would be less subjective and hopefully provide a clearer picture of a student’s actual knowledge and abilities. The intended audience of this article would be practitioners, administrators, parents and students. This article is relevant to all parties involved in the grading of students and those who will be affected by these grades. For example as a parent I find this relevant because I want my children graded in the most fair and accurate way possible. I know the grades they receive will impact their futures. As a future teacher I find this article relevant because I am concerned with accurately grading my students in a way that doesn’t discriminate or harm.

5 comments:

  1. I honestly had not given much thought to this part of the job. Grading seems so far off. Between reading this article and the one about grade-fixing I have been struck by what a big piece this is. How to be fair, accurate, and true to the student. Who wants a grade they didn't earn? Then again who wants a grade that doesn't really represnt how hard they've worked and how much growth has happened? If I busted my bum and ended up with a C but definitely made huge gains and relative to my particular situation grew as much as I could - I would feel a bit defeated. Any thoughts? We will be making these decisions soon - YIKES!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all tend to view the world through our individual lenses. I am not sure that anyone is capable of operating without some form of prejudice. I don't think his solution will even erase all bias.

    To me, the important thing is that I need to be aware of the lens through which I view the world and constantly be vigilant to not allow a bias to seep in. Also, try to understand the lenses that others are looking through too.

    "Fairness" is a problematic goal in my view because who decides what is fair? Creating equal opportunities for students and being as objective as possible in grading is a good step forward.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good point(s) - I too think we can never be without some bias and keeping it in check is key. As I was washing the dishes tonight I was thinking about this and wresteling with it. I see what you mean by fair but still feel it is a worthy ideal. Maybe it is not the best word choice on my part? I have been trying to think of a better one - just, honest, hmm??? I need my thesaurus:)I just know that grades have a big impact and not just for future opportunities but also self-worth. Putting forth your best to get "rewarded" with a C could potentially start some negative self-talk. I guess I just never want to be arbitary about grading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that "honest" is a better direction to go than "fair." Like Doug said, it is impossible to fully eradicate our biases, and to grade, teach, and evaluate under the pretense of "objectivity" is dangerous and rather dishonest.

    Rather than pretend our biases don't exist or waste our energy attempting to eradicate them, perhaps our energy would be better spent identifying, recognizing, and evaluating how our biases impact our interactions with students.

    To me, this is approaching the topic from a much more, to use your word, "honest" position.

    Now, the realities of grading are still there. How do we approach grades and grading in an honest fashion that levels the playing field? An idea that I have toyed with is covering the names of student papers before I read them. This too, however, can be limiting.

    Fairness, honesty, grading, biases. Tough topic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just had a thought about that. I was grading papers for a teacher recently and noticed that with certain students I had expectations and with others I really didn't. Ugh! Maybe it would have been beneficial for me to cover the names? I was just grading a simple worksheet - nothing with any real impact. But - still. Not sure how I feel about that - food for thought.

    ReplyDelete