Friday, June 12, 2015

Spanish Immersion

I've had the privilege of working these past two weeks in a 3rd grade Spanish immersion classroom. I wanted to share this video with all of you as I think it embodies cultural identity. The video was recorded during their practice this morning but they also presented it at the talent show in the afternoon. The teacher, Isidro Interian, wrote this song about his own life and his journey to the United States from Mexico and the challenges he faced and his experience with overcoming racial stereotypes. It isn't the full song as my phone failed me towards the end but I've included the lyrics to the first part and also the speech that they spoke at the end (not recorded). This performance really touched my heart as many of these students are facing similar challenges in their lives. One of the lines is about others not wanting him (Mr. Interian/hispanics) to be here (America) but that he won't give up because he has students who he is here to inspire. I think that really encompasses the heart of this song and that despite your background or race you can rise above those social barriers that others may place on you. I also love how the song is a blend between English and Spanish and how it flows together to create a cultural artifact for both identities.

LYRICS:


Rap (part 1)
Llegué en los Estados Unidos, a los cuatro años,
No llegue por barco, ni si quiera en avión,
Cruzando la frontera me tuve que enfrentar
E venido desde lejos con sueños que tengo que cumplir.
Little do you know lo difícil que ha sido mi vivir,
Y lo mucho que extraño mi patria quierda.
México siempre vas estar en mi corazón,
Pero mis padres me trajeron con una ilusión,
De poder ser alguien en esta grande nación.
Muchos me critican por ser un immigrante,
Pero demonstrare el poder de un estudiante.
Mi inspiración ha nacido, por lo cual no me daré por vencido,
Aunque no me quieran aquí, no me voy a ir,
Porque tengo estudiantes que yo voy a influir.

Chorus
Inspiración nació dentro mi corazón, Inspiración was born inside of my heart,
Con una buena educación, With a good education,
Podre ayudar cambiar esta grande nación, I will help change this large nation,


Speaking part (end)
That’s right. This right here is dedicated to all the young children, les quiero decir you can do whatever you set your mind to, solo que tienes que echarle muchas ganas. Usa la mente y tu corazón para tomar una acción. Remember, let your voice be heard, no tengas miedo. César Chávez dijo un día, ¡Si Se Puede! I believe in all of you porque son estudiantes inteligentes y luchadores. Sigan adelante no se den por vencidos. All of you can be what you want to be in life. Ustedes lo van a lograr.

No comments:

Post a Comment