Monday, March 28, 2011

5 Myths About Abraham Lincoln

"Five Myths About Abraham Lincoln"
Holzer, Harold
The Washington Post
Posted Online on February 17, 2011
URL:  http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/17/AR2011021703340.html

Being a History Major, this article was a joy for me to read as it debunked five major myths about Abraham Lincoln - most of which I thought were true!  Mr. Holzer, a Lincoln historian, uses evidence to debunk the myths of 1) Lincoln was a simple country lawyer, 2) Lincoln was gay, 3) Lincoln was depressed, 4) Lincoln was too compassionate and 5) Lincoln was mortally ill.

As we have discussed in our classes, History has been written with many mistakes and as a society we are trying to rectify that so history is factually correct.  I have to be honest in saying it is hard for me to part with some of the corrections as that is not what I had learned.  Also, I want to make sure those who are correcting our histories are being as intellectually honest as those who may not have been in writing our past stories.  That said, it is refreshing to me to see the "rest of the story" being told and our nation's history being fully fleshed out.  And this article adds to that refreshment, so enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment