Monday, March 28, 2011

Tests are Boring

Obama Says Too Much Testing Makes Education Boring” by Stacy Anderson
NPR, March 28, 2011 Accessed: March 28, 2011

Topic: Standardized testing is not the way to go.
Summary: Obama is pushing for a rewrite of federal education laws. He is critical of No Child Left Behind and of the overuse of standardized testing.
Intended audience: General Public
Key Points:
  • Too much testing makes education boring for kids.
  • “Schools should be judged on criteria other than student test performance, including attendance rate”
  • Obama administration would like to change standards from No Child Left Behind to a new standard saying that by 2020 all students graduating from high school should be ready for college or a career.
Relevance: Teaching to the test is a hot topic as is No Child Left Behind. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. What does “ready for college or a career” even mean? I’ve also posted a video from during Obama’s campaign for president that shows his opinion then is in-tune with his opinion now on the issue of standardized testing.

1 comment:

  1. Speaking out of both sides of his mouth. I do it ALL the time - UGH. I am not dissing the president - just saying. It is so hard to make everyone happy. He acknowledges how boring tests are but what can he do about it? Maybe just the acknowledgement is nice - just being able to give voice to it. I would love some action - but - I have no great suggestions - so I will be careful to not be to harsh or critical - at least that is what I will try to do. But as I already said I struggle with speaking out of both sides of my mouth. So maybe you will hear me being critical - frustration does boil over at times.

    ReplyDelete