Sunday, January 1, 2017

Title: 12 Ways to Avoid Student Humiliation
Source: Edutopia
Author: Dr. Richard Curwin
Date: March 26, 2015

Key Points: Teacher Responsibilities. "Use our influence to provide a safe haven for all students." Private communication about academics. Avoid sarcasm. Students' body language. Students' names shouldn't be written where everyone can see. Give students the right to pass if they do not want to answer/participate in the open discussion. 

Relevance: We might be some of the only people that a student can trust and feel comfortable with. I thought watching body language was an important factor, my students communicate through body language more than verbally communicating. One other factor I have seen in my room is the fact to call on students equally. If a student doesn't get the answer right, then ask them to ask a friend for help. I've seen this, and I've noticed an increase in particular students involvement with discussions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment