Sunday, April 5, 2015

High School Math Curriculum

In this video, Dan Meyer: Math class needs a makeover, the author brings to light a flaw in the current math curriculum. While a little old, March 2010, this author suggests that math teachers need to allow students the ability to actually think when working through math problems. This video seems to be for anyone who is willing to think about the ways math curriculum could be changed. Even though this video is a little old, I feel that the authors points are still valuable. Lastly, here is the link!

1 comment:

  1. I really liked this TED talk! It was short though, I like how he reduced the problem to its most simple form but I wonder if he helped the students add data back in as they formulated the way to solve the problem mathematically. I assume so but I don't think he said it.

    It reminds me of kids trying to mathematically guess the number of jelly beans in the jar. Kids try to be clever when it comes to winning candy. They have their theories and assumptions of how jelly beans will pack together and how many will fit per layer,etc. It might be interesting to do a series of jelly bean jars and let the kids develop their theories over time.

    ReplyDelete