Wednesday, November 9, 2016

What Do We Tell The Children?


The Huffington Post
Ali Michael, Ph.D. 


Source: LINK

Key Points: As educator's we need to be good role models for the students. We need to focus on the good and positives. This will be a good time to talk about democracy and civic duties that we all have. Discuss issues around our immediate communities in which students can take a role and make a change. 

Relevance: The election that just happened has a lot of minority students talking about their fears. This is their future and it affects their daily life. Personally, I have received a lot of concerning questions from my students and know of other teachers who have the same issue. 

Audience: Staff and teachers in schools. Parents and children.


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate the important messages in this article and you posting it! As you mention, educators need to be positive role models for students. I find myself reflecting after the results of the election how to have these challenging conversations with students. I know it is not my place to give my opinion nor do I have a solution. I do know that I can work to protect students, and promote a safe and respectful learning environment where bullying is not tolerated. I want to work towards encouraging students to self-advocate, recognize problems, find healthy ways to solve them, and to look out for one another.

    ReplyDelete