Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Teaching Tolerance

New Lessons to Help You Explore, "Who Is an Immigrant?

Source: Submitted by Teaching Tolerance Staff on September 14, 2016
Blogs and Articles: Immigration



Key Points-
·      Teaching tolerance- This is important as a teacher to model tolerance and respect of other’s cultures and beliefs.
·      Teaching students to be proud about where they come from, instead of being embarrassed, we need to have them accept and celebrate their heritage.
·      Exploring family, culture, and community- Need to be more aware to incorporate and learn about other cultures in our classrooms, which will help with understanding between people and cultures. Will build connections between the teacher and students and their families.
·      Awareness of other cultures-Make time to learn more about other cultures, because we are all working together in classes, and the world. Also, invite parents and families to expand on this work.

Relevance-
·      This lesson is very relevant for me because I am an immigrant and have experienced the same as some of my students. Learning a new language and becoming used to American culture, but I have not lost, or will I lose my connection to my heritage. I believe that it is very important to hold on to that, because it is who we are, and I want to pass this on to my students.
·      I currently have a challenging class of second generation native speakers who are not proud of where they come from. I want to instill in them the importance of remembering where they come from and embrace it, rather than ignore it. It is not 100% of who are or are becoming, but it is a large part of the people we will turn out to be. This is a great lesson that I will be completing in my classroom very shortly.


Audience- Teachers, parents, students, administrators

No comments:

Post a Comment