Thursday, October 20, 2016

2,000 Seattle teachers wear ‘Black Lives Matter’ shirts to class

Seattle Times staff reporter


Key Points: The event and rallies Wednesday morning were not organized by the Seattle school district but by the Seattle teacher union. Teachers independently purchased t-shirts and wore them to school and had discussions about the issues with their students. Parents also participated in this event. The purpose was to demonstrate that "black lives matter" within our public schools.

Relevance: With the media only pointing out what they believe is important, it is great to see adults and schools ready to inform our families and students. According to another article, black students make-up 16% of students in the Seattle area and make up the largest minority group. It also brings up the concept of teacher-student relationships. The best part is that teachers will incorporate this topic in their future lesson plans.

Audience: Parents and students. Educators in all grade levels.

3 comments:

  1. I like the idea of using the t-shirts, and the parents being involved to bring attention to an important issue in our society. However, I'm not sure how it would go over in my school or the schools around me. But I will say this, if I was to participate in something like this, I would be wearing a t-shirt that says "ALL LIVES MATTER!" I know that the recent shootings that have been in the news have involved African American individuals, but there are many other groups that should be looked at with equal respect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of this being a relevant topic in teachers lesson plans. It's a topic that doesn't always come up in classrooms and/or communities. In the same breath, I will agree w Claudia in that ALL LIVES MATTER. This is a very tricky transition - we all matter, and there have been certain instances when certain people have been targeted and other times when others have been. We are all equal!!!! This is one of the hardest things I have encountered being a new teacher!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit lately with all the negativity surrounding our politics It seems to me to be such a sad time. I don't know how people can be so cruel to others. How can people be so selfish and judgmental without even knowing the person who they are demeaning. I just hope and pray that some day all people will be considered as equals, and we don't have to go around labeling. Because of course all lives matter.

    ReplyDelete