Monday, October 31, 2016

The Classroom Teacher Acts Like She’s Not Responsible for My Child. What Can I Do?

Title:  The Classroom Teacher Acts Like She’s Not Responsible for My Child. What Can I Do?

Image result for teacher
By:Whitney Hollins Adjunct Instructor, Hunter College
Source:  Understood: for learning and attention issues

URL: 

Key Points: The article shows from the perspective of a parent of a child with special needs, how frustrating their experience can be in main stream classrooms. Often, general education teachers do not have an adequate knowledge of what their students on IEPs need in order to be success. while they are responsible for getting this information, the special ed case manager also plays an important role in providing resources and tools to the general education teacher. 

Intended Audience: Parents (main focus), Teachers 

Relevance: As special education teachers this article is beneficial in seeing issues facing our students from a different point of view, that of the parent. As case managers we need to be advocates for our students who are in main stream classes and ensure that they are getting the supports that they are legally entitled to. 

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for presenting this article. I have seen more than a few kids receive inadequate instruction and support when included in a general ed. classroom. I know that it can be hard for a teacher of 25 to 35 students to focus on the individual needs of one student, so that's why its important to give those teachers the support and knowledge they need to help the student succeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This article is very eye opening for the fact that all students should be treated the same but I can see where general ed teachers may not have the same experiences or techniques for dealing with special education students. Being an IA in a special education classroom before entering this program I realized that some teachers do not ever have that experience and go off what they have learned in class. Hopefully general education teachers feel comfortable reaching out to special education teachers to get the help that they need to make these students successful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a huge topic in both general education and sped environments - and is absolutely a two way street. As a new teacher in a self-contained, high needs classroom, I am learning I have to put forth a decent amount of effort to get information from gen ed teachers regareding my students who push out for a class or two a day. However, it is also challenging for gen ed teachers to connect with the SPED department, if needed. But I will say this...the few students I have who push out during the day, and I when I get time I go and check on them and see how they are getting along. There are a couple who have gotten left to the wayside and will sit there and pretend to look busy because they won't ask for help. I don't think this is one party's fault or the other's. It is the nature of our education system - and it's disappointing. Another issue I have is the amount of general education teachers that do not show up at IEP meetings. It's important to get their feedback and to hear how the student does in their classroom - not to mention sit in on the meeting to learn more about the student and how to better accomodate him/her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I just want to chime in and say that there are way too many gen ed teachers not showing up to the IEP meeting. I have seen and it's the general feel from Sped that Gen Ed teachers feel that once the student is on an IEP it's our student then. It needs to be a collaborative effort to get the students needs met. I have also seen and heard that even when the Gen Ed teachers get the IEP electronically now in most large school districts that they don't take the time to look through the IEP. I also came into a conversation by accident today when a Gen Ed teacher was venting about the SPED students in their classroom. It saddens me to hear this and what they were saying. It just confirmed to me that they need more PD for Gen Ed to get Special education PD.

      Delete
  4. As a special education teacher, I think this is article is something we should present to all of our parents prior to conferences. If a student spends time in a general education classroom, a parent should go into that conference prepared to have this discussion openly and fairly. I wonder if there is a similar blog from the teachers perspective we could also present to our parents so they have both sides of the story prior to conferences.

    ReplyDelete