Saturday, October 29, 2016

Safety Tips- Teen Drivers

Title:  Safety Tips For Teen Drivers
Author:  Insurance Information Institute
Key Points:  Shocking statistics that motor vehicle accidents are the number one cause of deaths for 15 to 20 year old people in the United States is a key point in this article. Research indicates that over half of these deaths are caused by not wearing seat belts when they are passengers in the vehicle.  The article states the dangers of texting while driving, lack of experience and immaturity and the inability to recognize dangerous behaviors that lead to accidents as a result of this lack of knowledge.  Tips are provided to reduce the risk of motor vehicle accidents.
Relevance:  This article discusses the parent or guardian responsibility to be a good role model for their young adult.  This advice can apply to everything in life.  Remembering that young people are always watching adult behavior may make people think twice about how they behave in public.  The tips are valuable because often students will say I am buying a 'cool car', not necessarily a safe option.  Discussing the dangers of drug and alcohol use and distracting or impaired driving is also very relevant to our lifestyles today with cell phones easily accessible in our cars .  Wearing our seat belts has to become automatic for all drivers and modeled to new drivers consistently.
European countries do not allow anyone under the age of 18 to drive alone.
This can be a great option for some teens that are not ready for the major responsibility of driving.
URL:www.iii.org/article/safety-tips-teen-drivers

1 comment:

  1. I loved to drive when I was a teenager. But, I admit, I was not always a safe driver and was very fortunate to have not experienced a tragedy due to my carelessness. Today, I am a good role model, and my children have, I believe, benefited from my example. My father was not very concerned, like many in his generation, and merely told be to stay out of trouble. I look back now and think this was not really adequate for me. Today, I'm all for teaching safe driving...even as far as considering what the European countries do by not allowing teens to drive alone.

    ReplyDelete