Saturday, October 1, 2016

Why Open a School? To Close a Prison

Why Open a School? To Close a Prison




TEDxColoradoSprings 
Filmed Nov 2015
7:10 

Key Points: Nadia Lopez founded the Mott Hall Bridges Academy in 2010 to offer quality instruction to a community of children in a disadvantaged area of Brooklyn, NY. The challenges this middle school faces are common to schools all across the United States. These include poverty, lack of funding, exposure to violence and gang involvement at an early age. She talks about the importance of cultivating dynamic, successful teachers and motivating students to become scholars.

One of her scholars was interviewed by Brandon Stanton founder of the blog, “Humans of New York.” This exposure led to 1.4 million dollars (!) of donations to the school to be used for university visits, summer steam programs and college scholarships.

As a principal, she values her educators who work overtime and on weekends on behalf of the students. She also observes their classes and gives them feedback to help them be successful as educators in the school. When this TedTalk was filmed, 3 classes of 200 students had graduated and gone on to high school.

Audience: Parents, educators, administrators

Relevance:
As this school implemented best practices, the community rallied around them to contribute to further success.  We would do well to take a good hard look at this school and the methods that are in place to launch a successful generation whose lives are transformed by education.

1 comment:

  1. I like this woman's message and support her vision. I can't help but wonder how I can help. I feel helpless because of one of her first lines.... she needs teachers that can empathize with her students. I can't. I couldn't fly to New York and tell her I think she is doing a stellar job and I want to work for her... it wouldn't work. So I am left to wonder how I can take her message and apply it to the students I serve here in Oregon.

    ReplyDelete