Friday, October 14, 2016


“These days, economic forces are conspiring to make the stories of many of my white Oregon students more similar to those of my Latino students”

Key Points: The author takes on the topic of “white privilege” from the viewpoint of a professor who, after reading the journal assignments of white students, recognizes that many of them have had the same struggles as members of the latino community. These struggles include overworked parents, poverty, and discrimination. “You’re supposed to be able to make yourself rich, and if you can’t, it’s your own fault.” But still, you’re white.

Audience: Teachers, administrators

Relevance: We need to consider that there are stereotypes about whites that can be damaging as we instruct and mentor our students.

1 comment:

  1. Susan, I read the article and found the author to have a unique perspective. I appreciate how he comments on rural Eastern Oregon. I found his insights to the plight of disadvantaged people from the Eastern part of the state to that of his background humbling. I believe that you get more people engaged in the conversation of oppression when you speak of social class mobility. In my experience, I can relate to the stories he discusses in the article.

    ReplyDelete